Thursday, January 31, 2008

Our Attitude Matters

We're stuck in Iraq, the Taliban power is growing in Afghanistan, our national debt is $9.2 trillion, the news gets worse every day about the economy, our infrastructure is crumbing, and we don't trust our government -- these are just a handful of our problems.

Frankly, it's not an easy time to be an American.  These problems cost us more than tax dollars; they also take a heavy toll on our attitudes. I always hear people say, "It doesn't matter who you vote for, all politicians are the same." We have an attitude problem. How can we possibly overcome these enormous challenges with a bad attitude?  I mean, those motivational posters that hung on my high school classroom walls spoke the truth: "Your attitude determines your altitude!" (Or something along those lines).

I've been hesitant for a couple of weeks about posting this story, fearing that it would seem too egotistical.  In general, I seldom volunteer many personal anecdotes.  I figure that if someone is interested, they will ask.  Well, nobody has asked, but I think the following makes an important point -- at least it reflects how I feel about the presidential election.  So, with that said, and at the risk of possibly talking too much about myself, here's my reflection:

As a grow older, I look back at my childhood and realize that despite the ups and downs that face any family, I grew up in a very positive-minded household. The attitude of "you can be anything you want" that my parents established created a culture of possibility and empowerment.  The reality was that there were times in my life when I simply couldn't "be anything" I wanted, but the reassuring words of my parents never wavered.  So in my mind... I could be anything I wanted.

I struggled through elementary and middle school.  By the time I got to high school, my government teacher, of all subjects, held me after class one day to tell me some unnerving news: I might not graduate.  In terms of my education, it appeared to be a rough start, but despite this, my parents instilled in me that I could be anything I wanted.  And I believed them.  
It was during high school, the same troubling years, that I became a the first pilot in my family at the age of 14.  It didn't seem strange at the time, but when I look back at my journal from that time in my life, it's the writing of a child when I write about taking my first solo flight in 1996.  It's astonishing to see it now, but more astonishing that my parents entrusted me with that huge responsibility, and that I could be anything I wanted.

As the years went by, I applied to college and few schools accepted me.  The disappointment and embarrassment weighed heavily on me, but my parents helped me maintain the attitude that I could do anything.  As it turned out, I was reconsidered and accepted by my top choice, St. Edward's.  After graduation from college, I thought law school was my next step.  After an expensive LSAT prep course and burdensome application fees, I was not accepted to any of the five schools I applied to, even the "safety school."  Extremely disappointed, my parents somehow reminded me that I could do anything and that my best days are yet to come.  Once again, I believed them.  One year later, I moved to New York to start graduate school at NYU.

As Americans, we're struggling right now.  The challenges and disappointment are depressing and almost overwhelming.  Why are the people of my generation so excited about Barack Obama?  We've heard the pundits analyze this question.  I believe that because our entire lives, we've seen the government as the enemy.  But now, this leader arrives that not only believes in the fruits of a well-run and responsible government, but also believes in each of us to rise to our potential as citizens.    Our entire lives, we've been told that the government is our enemy.  Instead of becoming a victim of the "big government" era, I believe that my generation is inspired by the "yes we can" era.

We can overcome these enormous challenges that face this country.  But only if we believe in our leader, and he or she believes in us.  Our attitude matters.